It is fitting that the home base of the King Bridge Company is the location for the most important of the King bridges still remaining, including the last of its major bridges, the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge and its most notable moveable bridges, along with some through trusses and a large number of railroad beam girders still in active use. Thankfully, Greater Cleveland celebrates its historic bridges, including its Kings.
1. The Veteran’s Memorial (Detroit-Superior) Bridge -1918- Cleveland
This 591 foot steel arch was the last major bridge built by the King Bridge Company. It is one of the largest bridges spanning the Cuyahoga River connecting the east and west sides of the City and has recently undergone extensive rehabilitation to keep it operational into the 21st century. In addition to remaining an important traffic artery, it is a key feature of Cleveland’s historical inventory, industrial heritage, and skyline panorama. It is cited in “Great American Bridges and Dams” by Donald C. Jackson, John Wiley & Sons 1988. ( See HISTORY MAJOR BRIDGES and link to http://web.ulib.csuohio.edu/SpecColl/bccc/bccc07.html)
The last major structure built by the King Bridge Company is the center span of the Detroit-Superior High Level Bridge, now called the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge, connecting downtown Cleveland to the communities on the near west side of the Cuyahoga River. It was completed in 1918 after four years of difficult construction and in the literature of the time was called “one of the finest specimens of engineering art to be found anywhere in America.” At the time it was completed, it was the largest reinforced concrete and steel bridge in the world.
2. Center Street Swing Bridge -1901- Cleveland- This is the last remaining vehicular King bridge and is still in operation, providing access to the new entertainment complex in the Cleveland Flats. It is historically important, both for its design and for its role as a working swing bridge. It is listed in “Landmark American Bridges” by Eric Delony, HAER, Little,Brown and Co. 1990 and in “Great American Bridges and Dams” by Donald C. Jackson, John Wiley & Sons 1988. It will be kept in operation as part of the Cleveland’s impressive inventory of historic bridges. (See MOVABLE BRIDGES)
3. The B&O Scherzer Bascule Bridge-1907- Cleveland, **The King Bridge Company provided the steel structure for this important bascule bridge near the entrance to the Cuyahoga River. It was one of the longest of this time and is now preserved as a permanent feature of Cleveland’s historic bridge inventory. It is pictured in“Great American Bridges and Dams” by Donald C. Jackson, John Wiley & Sons 1988 (See MOVABLE BRIDGES)
The Short Line RR Viaduct -1908- Cleveland (See RAILROAD Addendum 3/27/05 in NEWand http://web.ulib.csuohio.edu/SpecColl/nkp/bridge/)
(we are still awaiting new pictures to verify that it is still in place)
5. Six Beam Girders on the Lorain & West Virginia RR – Lorain County
(See 2005 Update item 10)
6. The Fitzgerald Rd. Bridge in the Cuyahoga Valley NRA -1922- Cleveland
This may be one of the last bridges built by the Company before it effectively went out of business in 1923. It is one of two truss bridges in the National Recreation Area, the other having been built by King’s big rival, the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio
7. The Hillside Road Bridge in the Cuyahoga Valley NRA
8. The Clay Road Bridge* Western Reserve Greenway Trail – 1897
The King Bridge Company built a number of bridges in this County, which is also known for its old covered bridges. The bridge at Mill Creek was moved to a new site in 2004 to become part of the Ashtabula County Greenway rail trail from Canton to Ashtabula. It is included in the Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory
(see new CD KB finds and findings item 10.)
9. The Horton Road Bridge- 1899- Monroe Twp. Ashtabula County
( see new CD KB finds and findings item 11.)
Plus a number of existing railroad bridges in Cleveland with King Bridge Co. plates
10. Seven CSX Beam Girders – 1910-1912
11. Six Norfolk & Southern Beam Girders- 1911-1917
12. CTS Rapid Transit Beam Girder –Lorain& W143rd
And some additional King Bridges in Ashtabula County
The Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory by Ron Jones done in 2005 lists two other King bridges in the County and James Baughn’s website lists one
13.The State Road Bridge -1900 (ch 354)- Monroe Twp.
14.The Hall Road Pony Truss -1901 – Richmond Twp.
15. The Clyde Hill Road Bridge -1889 (Baughn list)
Also the following are said to be Kings
16. The Johnson Road Bridge – 1905- Rome Twp.
17. The Rock Creek Cemetery Bridge